My mother’s doctor refused to consider her symptoms until she lost 10 lbs. She did. Then he told her to lose 20 more. She tried, but she was in constant pain and couldn’t exercise. Plus, she was 60. Finally, he “humored” (his wording–he was still convinced it was her weight) her, ran some tests, and found that she had…rheumatoid arthritis. She suffered for months and sustained permanent joint damage because he didn’t like the way her ass looked.
Symptoms? Lose 10 lbs first, then Dr will consider diagnosing. . .
Posted by vesta44 on May 7, 2013
- Birth Control
- Blood pressure
- Eating Disorders
- Emergency Room
- Endocrine Disorders
- Filing complaints
- Health Care Links
- Mental Health
- MRI/CT testing
- Organ Donation
- Physical Injury
- The Family Doctor
- Weight Loss
- WLS (weight loss surgery)
- Jaundiced? Weight loss will cure that, no need to look for a reason.
- Sudden weight gain? You’re eating all the cake!
- Lack of insurance and biased doctors hurt us
- Thin or fat, we all get the “lecture” about weight loss, exercise, eating habits
- Let’s Ignore Why You Came Here And Talk About Your Weight
- Binge Eating Disorder September 25, 2016This post isn’t really about fatness, but I was thinking about binge eating disorder as a diagnosis. You can take a look at the diagnostic criteria here, but it seems to get into a thorny realm because one criterion is a sense of lack of control. To me, that sounds like saying “addictive behavior” while avoiding that phrase. It leads to some questions:Is bin […]firstname.lastname@example.org (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- September NAAFA Newsletter September 25, 2016I forgot to post the link to this month’s NAAFA newsletter last week; sorry about that. But here it is, and I’ve pre-clicked for you so that the link below takes you straight to the fat news. Enjoy!http://ift.tt/2dsThhd via Fatties United! http://ift.tt/2dirukCnoreply@blogger.com (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- Happy Bi Visibility Day! September 24, 2016It’s Bi Visibility Week, and today is apparently also Bi Visibility Day! In honor of that, a couple quick things:First, hi, world, I’m bisexual. (I’ve referred to myself as “mostly straight: in the past, and why it took me a while to actually claim the label of “bi” is probably its own post.)Second, Samantha Field is an amazing bisexual progressive Christi […]email@example.com (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- In Defense of Racists? September 23, 2016Last week and part of this week was vacation; my first ever all by myself drive to and from Sudbury to the Sault to visit with family and friends. It was spectacular in that it was perfectly ordinary; coffee with one friend, lunch with another, hitting Pokestops downtown one night and a sleepover at camp another. It feels like I took a million pictures but i […]firstname.lastname@example.org (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- Estimating Fetal Weight Increases Cesarean Risk September 20, 2016Image from WikimediaOne intervention often seen in pregnancies these days is estimation of fetal weight. But does this improve outcomes?Bigger babies are more at risk for getting stuck, which is called "shoulder dystocia." Although the actual numerical risk for shoulder dystocia with big babies is not very great (and small babies get stuck too), th […]email@example.com (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- On spaces for fat activism and scholarship September 20, 2016As a super fat person living in New Zealand, I am rarely afforded the opportunity to hang out in fat spaces offline. I don’t know many fat people who embrace that identity, so I am always keen to have access to spaces designed by fat people, for fat people, about fat people. One of those yearly spaces (albeit online) is the Fat Activism Conference(FAC). This […]firstname.lastname@example.org (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- The Curvy Girl Lingerie Show September 19, 2016Yesterday, September 18th, I had the privilege of being Tigress’ guest for The Curvy Girl Lingerie Show in Campbell, California. I had the same privilege last year, but this year felt different. This year I wasn’t too nervous or too awkward. I mean, I fully appreciate and enjoy my own special brand of quirky-awkward-endearing. I work with what I got, ya know […]email@example.com (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- School Dress Code – No Fat Chicks September 19, 2016Design by Kris OwenBrookhaven Elementary school in Mississippi prioritized students not seeing a 9 year old girl in a “too snug” t-shirt, over that girl’s education. She was removed from her classroom and put into in school suspension her mother then brought another outfit which was also deemed inappropriate. The school has verified that they are standing […]firstname.lastname@example.org (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- the HAES® files: On Having a Place for Fat Scholarship September 15, 2016by Cat Pausé, Ph.D.Fat Studies: Identity, Agency, Embodiment (FSNZ16) was the second Fat Studies conference I’ve hosted in New Zealand. It provided a space for Fat Studies scholars and fat activists to come together and share pedagogy, scholarship, and activism. It was well supported by my Institution and received a great deal of media attention across New Z […]email@example.com (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- Alright, I’m Going There…What is Butch/Femme exactly? September 15, 2016Open thread here on the topic of butch/femme. What is it? How can you identify a real butch or a real femme? How can you identify a real example of any “type” of lesbian out there? I have seen a number of views presented, from purely essentialist to purely chosen/presentation based. Yet I can’t seem […]via Dead of Winter http://ift.tt/2cKt3o3noreply@blogger.com (Notes From The Fatosphere)
- Binge Eating Disorder September 25, 2016